Nora the Explorer

Hello to all of my wonderful family and friends! As I travel, this is the best way for me to tell you about my adventures. Just don't forget to leave a comment or send me an email so I know what's going on back home!

Saturday, June 9, 2007

My First Week

Mulembe! It has only been one week, but it feels more like one month - in a good way! We arrived in Mbale on either Tuesday or Wednesday - I forget which. With all the travel the days ran together. We are staying at Ugandan Women's Concern Ministry. The accommodations are nice by Ugandan standards. We have 3 girls in my room, 2 in the main room, and another chaperone gets the 3rd connecting room. The 6 of us share a bathroom connected to the main room. It is mostly bug free now that all of our screaming scared Harry away after the first night. Harry was our welcome spider. Imagine a regular water bottle. We cut out the bottom of one to trap him inside because only person (not me) wanted to be humane and let him go outside (far, far away). He didn't fit. He was that big. So that was the first night. The boys, by the way, didn't come to our rescue, but one of our hosts ran from her shower to save us! The showers here are great after a long day of work - nice and cold - all the time.

The weather is very nice. About 80 to 90 degrees daily, occasional showers but no humidity. But the sun is hot. We've been doing a lot of work on the project. We're building guest houses first. Mama Edith was telling me that she has wonderful donations coming in, but everyone wants the donations to go towards a project. She has no way to pay her staff, so often she trains them and then they leave for a better paying job. These guest houses (and the piggery that we will convert into a conference center next) will allow her to have a source of income to pay her staff and continue the wonderful work she does. Everyone is very welcoming and happy to have us. We're building 6 single guest houses and 3 doubles. We started with a circular ring 4 feet deep. For foundation, we laid many heavy rocks, then covered them with broken bricks. We used sledgehammers to break the rocks that were too big for us to move. It took about 4 hours to make handles for the 2 hammers and about 30 minutes to break both. On top of the bricks went aggregate (concrete and rocks) which is setting now - not bad for 2.5 days work.

Today we met up with the group we left in Iganga (they're working to build a primary school there) to go to Sipi Falls. It was beautiful. I wish I could upload pictures to show you, but I will later. We hiked straight up a mountain and visited 3 waterfalls on the way. I stood at the bottom of one as the water fell - pretty amazing. The most fun, though, had to have been jumping into the "pool" at the top of one of the waterfalls. It was only about 15 feet down to the water, but a blast! Very cold water, but well worth it.

In terms of the cultural adjustments I feel like I am doing very well. It's been pretty "sheltered" up to today. I knew I was in Africa, but it didn't feel like it since we were always on the compound and living with "Mizungos"- the local term for white people (not a derrogatory term, just a fact).

It's so great to hear the stories that Mama Edith and Papa David and all of the staff have to tell. They are Ugandans highly respected in the area. They have a wonderful community-based approach to all of the work they do. They focus on HIV/AIDS education, care for orphans and vulnerable children, assisting single mothers, and an Australian woman is now on staff for the next two years to start new malaria prevention program.

They make us food all of the time - some African food and some Western food like popcorn and chips (crisps here - British influence - they also drive on the wrong side of the road). Don't worry, we are very safe. The head police chief in the area came by to meet us and assure us of our safety. Last night and tonight we are staying in Mbaletown at a hotel to get cleaned up and give our hosts a break. We came into an internet cafe. Walking around town, I finally feel like I am in Africa. We're off to dinner now. I hope everything at home is going well and everyone is safe.

Happy Birthday, Fr. Pat and Traci!

8 comments:

Scott said...

Sounds like you're having a great time. I just got back to work after Week 1 last week. It was an absolute blast. I'll send you an email with some details when i get a chance. Hope it continues to go well!

Anonymous said...

Nora,
Thanks for keeping us informed.
We miss you and I would love to talk. We tried, but could not get through. Traci celebrated her birthday by calling and filled us in. We put Helen on the plane yesterday, and Mary today. Both were excited to be on a new adventure. Helen actually called today and said they were having a good time their first day in London. Mary arrives in Venice tomorrow. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, Nora-Danish! The work doesn't exactly sound easy but I'm sure you're doing a good job staying positive! We miss you and can't wait to hear lots more when you get home!
Love, Ella-muffin :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Nora!

It is "Miss Rene":) I love your title, Nora the Explorer! ha, being a nanny, I thought that was cute and creative! What a strong and couragous young lady you are! Mom and dad are very proud I assume!:) What a big heart you have to go over there,and help. I can see you do that though!:) We went to Happy Joes for Traci's b-day.I think she had a nice time!:) I think the kids would like to be with Traci every day! I will be helping with the Tri-Athalon this weekend. Should be fun. I saw your mom and Mary on Sunday night. Keep up the awesome job you are doing!:) You can do it !! Take care, luv, Rene Skala

Anonymous said...

Nora,
Okay, I don't do spiders so that part creeped me out. It was great to hear about your building adventures though - sounds like hard work, but I'm sure you're amazing at it! We all miss you here and are happy you're safe and having a great time - can't wait to see pictures and hear more stories.
Love,
Mumzie (and Popsicle too!)

Anonymous said...

Nora, Sounds like a wonderful experience. Quite a bit more exciting than here. You probably heard the very, very sad news? You haven't? Well, believe it or not, Gordy will very soon be sixty (60) years old. Yes, this is true, even though you would swear he isn't a day over seventy!

Keep up the good work. Isn't it great to have fun while you are doing something so extraordinarily worthwhile. We love you. Jim

P.S. Mock Trial Jim, not Uncle Jim.

Anonymous said...

Dear Daughter Nora, This is the kind of high adventure I have come to expect of you! Have a great time and stay safe. It is great to hear from you. I am doing my best to keep your parents occupied, but it is not easy. Love, KP

Anonymous said...

I did a google search looking for my old good friend Rene Skala and saw she posted on your blog. Rene- its Amy Churchill, I use to be ananny with you. email me- amychurchill@hotmail.com i want to catch up with you!