Nora the Explorer

Hello to all of my wonderful family and friends! As I travel, this is the best way for me to tell you about my adventures. Just don't forget to leave a comment or send me an email so I know what's going on back home!

Thursday, October 9, 2008

October 9: Weather and News Update

It's been rainy a lot here lately, but yesterday afternoon and today the sun came out! I have a lot of reading to do, and some papers, but I have finished enough on the computer that I can go out and read in the sun before I go rowing this evening :) The weather is usually in the high 50s or low 60s during the day - though it changes three times daily. So everyone is wearing jackets and lots of layers to adapt to the various temperatures throughout the day.
The election news is very popular here. I actually feel quite well informed on US politics, though I know little about the current events in the country in which I live. Last night I watched the Presidential debate online with 3 of my housemates - one is American, one is Bulgarian but studied at De Paw and Georgetown, and one is British. For the first debate since it was a Friday night we had a gathering of about 50 international students all sitting around the television watching from 3 - 4:30am! It was hosted by Leiden Univ Students for Obama (I believe the group is headed by non-Americans) and only a handful of the attendees were actually American. It was quite impressive to see how interested they were in politics. Many students here are studying politics, law, and international topics, so it's nice to be in an environment where I can have in-depth intellectual conversations with people who are actually well informed.

That's all for now - back to the books!

No comments: