Nora the Explorer

Hello to all of my wonderful family and friends! As I travel, this is the best way for me to tell you about my adventures. Just don't forget to leave a comment or send me an email so I know what's going on back home!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Nov 17: Thoughts on South Africa

What have I gotten myself into?

Last week, I bought my plane ticket to Capetown, signed my housing contract, and purchased health insurance for the duration of my stay. It's real! I leave the Netherlands in mid-January and have an extended layover in Munich before I bid farewell to the life I've built over the last five months and begin anew for another five months or so. I won't be returning to the US until the summer. Many people have been emphasizing this fact lately - that I'll have been away from home for nearly a year (51 out of 52 weeks really, counting DC). It's a fact that I know but prefer not to dwell on. While studying abroad, you have the highs and lows and admittedly, this last week has been a rough one.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not re-thinking going to South Africa. I'm thrilled! I can't wait. I'll have a chance to live, work, and study in a new culture. The academic program looks like it was practically designed with me in mind, the only problem being that I want to take about twice as many courses as the university allows.

From a weather perspective, this is a brilliant move. Winter hits in the Northern Hemisphere, I move to the Southern Hemisphere and experience instant summer. Winter hits in the Southern Hemisphere? I head back home for a Northern Hemisphere summer.

But this morning, rather than doing my assigned readings on the historical development of the EU, I've been reading blogs of other students who have studied in South Africa. The theme: Racism in South Africa. While the most recent post I've seen is over a year old, I can't imagine that the last 19 months have miraculously brought about an end to racist sentiments. And I'm moving into an Afrikaaner stronghold.

Really it's not the fear of exposure to racism that worries me. I'll be exposed to it, and it will be upsetting, but I'll learn about tolerance in society and how to cope with racist comments made against me and comments made against others.

I have heard nothing but positive sentiments about America electing it's first black president. Now South Africa has had black presidents since 1994. But how will I respond to a comment made by a white supremacist questioning what the world is coming to when even the all-powerful America is run by a black man? Not because he's a democrat, but simply for the color of his skin. Does the racism extend to all blacks in the world, or just those living in South Africa? Will I be distinguished as an American rather than an Afrikaaner, or are we all just white? My hope is that this will not matter, because American or Afrikaaner, Xhosa or Zulu or African-American, I am a person not defined by the color my skin.

As for the question of Barack, I suppose I'll deal with that question when it comes. Lucky for me, I've got plenty of ammo to fire back as to why he is indeed the best candidate for the job.

I'm not quite sure what I have gotten myself into. I imagine that thought will enter my mind frequently over the next few months, but I'm excited for the challenge.
--
"Confronting Racism in South Africa" by Sarah Menkedick

No comments: